9/13/11

Speak Out With Your Geek Out! A geek timeline.


So, Monica Valentinelli started bu the Speak Out With Your Geek Out, which you can find here and the internet has blown up! In a good way, which with all of the drama of the last several week, is a nice change. So, just about everyone is posting some form of post about what how much they love been geeks. 

So, I just thought I would post examples of things I would have missed out if I were not a geek myself: It is a bit long, but this is why I am, who I am.
  • Dec 1970 a geek was born.
  • May 1977. A six year boy had his mind blown away by Star Wars: A New Hope! X-wings are awesome!
  • 1978. I beg and pleaded and got an Atari 2600.
  • 1978. Watched the Fellowship of the Ring animated movie. Scared the hell out of me.
  • 1978. Battlestar Galatctica!
  • Spring 1980. At age nine, had I not sprained my ankle and walked into the library, I would have not discovered a little known series known as the Lord or the Rings..
  • May 1980. My mind was blow even further by The Empire Strikes back. Best movie EVER.
  • 1981 started writing. Mostly godzilla, choose your own adventure, and hardy boy stories.
  • June 1982. Saw Bladerunner and convinced Harrison Ford was a GOD.
  • 1984. At age 13, I found another other named of Terry Brooks. I was introduced to the world of Shannara.
  • June 1984 watched Ghostbusters with my father, my best memory of us together.
  • July 1985 watched Back to the Future and wished I had a DeLorean
  • 1989 Was introduced to another long time favorite, David Eddings and the Belgariad
  • Got on the internet for the first time and joined my first bbs known only as Operation Mindcrime
  • 1990. Got a Sega Genesis and was introduced to video game rpg's with Golden Axe, Phantasy Star 2, and Dragon Warrior IV. My life was changed.
  • 1990 was also the year I was introduced to table-top rpg's by playing Dungeons and Dragons, Champions, and Cyberpunk
  • September 1993 was mesmerized by the X-files
  • 1994 I Played Call of Cthulhu for the first time. Joy.
  • 1994 Discovered the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
  • 1997 brought the release of  Final Fantasy Vii, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Resident Evil came out on the Playstation.
  • May 1999 proved to be an omen of things to come with The Phantom Menace. I started to hate Geroge Lucas a little this day.
  • November 2001 I saw Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and was hooked. I had avoided the books because they were kid novels, but soon read them with a passion.
  • Dec 2001 The premier of the Fellowship of the Ring. Which I saw eight times in just over two weeks. Including once, back to back.
  • December 2003 Battlestar Galactica again!
  • September 2004 was introduced to Lost.
  • December 2004 I started a sci-fi/fantasy book club that has lasted 7 years.
  • May 2005 was the day I walked out of a Star Wars movie. Revenge of the Sith. Part of me died that day.
  • 2006. My friends Amy and Chris got me hooked on the Dresden Files. I am somewhat of a fan.
  • September 2006 The first season of Heroes was the best season of tv I have ever seen.
  • 2007 (I think) was introduced to Firefly. 
  • February 2008 Played Spirit of the Century and everything I thought about tabletop rpg's changed.
  • July 2008 joined playtest group for Dresden Files Rpg. Burning Alphas!
  • 2009 brought a few great Rpg's Elder Scroll IV, Oblivion, Dragon Age, Fallout 3. No, not all of the games came out this year, but this is when I played them. 
  • June 2010 Dresden Files Rpg came out.
  • July 2011 I discovered Google+ and have met a lot of new people.
I know that was a lot to read, but I had fun with it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment