10/20/12

Discipline or bust...


I don’t know how some of you do it.
One of my biggest problems when I am trying to write my novel, or create the game we want to create, is the fact that I am so easily distracted. Also known as not very disciplined.

It is something I have struggled with for years, but it just pisses me off. I can get rolling on something and things are going great, but it hardly lasts for an extended period of time. This is really noticeable due to the fact that on Google+, I am associated with A LOT of game designers. This isn’t a bad thing, as I have gotten read about other people own journeys in game creation.

But the thing I have noticed is just how many people that can work consistently on their games. I really want to be able to do that, since making a Fate based game is something I have wanted to do ever since I played Spirit of the Century for the first time. It was driven home even more, when I was lucky enough to help playtest the Dresden Files Rpg. So, this is something I really want to accomplish.

But therein lays the rub. I have to find a way to get more disciplined, or it will never happen. It is not a switch I can just turn on, but it something I really am trying to work on.

So, I am wondering what other people do when they feel their discipline doesn’t seem to be enough. How do you keep the momentum going in order to be creative?

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I have Tourette's Syndrome and that comes packaged with OCD. I'm amazed I get anything done!

    Come one, folks, got any good advice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found understanding the four phases of my creative process (outlined in "Never unprepared", published by Engine) - brainstorming, conceptualising, documenting, and proofing to be very helpful in my creative writing. I wonder if this might not help you also?

    Im happy to expand, but the book is really worth a read, if you havent read it already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything is helpful. Mostly, I just have to stop making excuses for myself and just do it. But that being said, the four phases process is interesting.

    ReplyDelete